Snapshot of the Passport Renewal Process
1. Register for a Passport Application on the Indian government website.
2. Register on VFS Global and pay the shipping fees.
3. Send documents to VFS Global.
4. VFS verifies documents and sends them to India embassy.
5. Indian Embassy triggers Indian Police verification
6. Indian embassy issues passport.
7. VFS will send you the old and new passports.
If your last Indian passport was issued, it will take you 3-6 weeks to renew your Indian passport.
If your passport was issued in India, you can apply for a new one in just 10 days.
You can renew your visa for one year or 365 calendar days before expiry. To avoid delays at the Indian Embassy, we recommend that you apply 6 weeks prior to the expiry.
#1 Expiring Passport
Send only the original and most recent passport. Other OLD passports are not required, if any.
For passport renewal, total of 2 photographs in size 2x2 Inch is required.
The background should be white and not off-white.
Online ordering of passport-sized photos is possible at Costco, Walgreens, Walgreens, Costco, CVS or Walgreens.
To get professional photos quickly, use an online photo booth such as AiPassportPhoto. It is easier to take pictures at home.
#3 NRI Government passport renewal application form
For printing, the Indian government will provide the passport application form. Below are the steps.
#4 Highest qualification degree
Your education details are required by Indian Embassy to determine if ECR stamp is required on passport.
We recommend sending a copy if you have a Higher Educational Qualification Degree such as an MCA, MBA or MCA. Although it is not necessary, it is a good idea to send one.
#5 Proof of address in the United States
It is possible to have the USA address printed on an Indian passport. It is not harmful.
Rental Lease Agreement (Month-to-Month is acceptable) Home mortgage bill – Should not have expired at time of submission. Rental agreement with a future start date?
Any utility bill (Electricity/gas/water/ landline telephone bill) must not be older than three months. Mobile bill and Home Internet WiFi bill are not accepted .
Driver's License or State ID – Front and back are required. A temporary or learning driving license is acceptable.
US bank statements are NOT valid address proof.
#6 Proof of address in India
If you want to add or change your current Indian address printed on your current passport, proof of Indian address is required.
Does the current passport have an Indian hotel as a permanent address?
- Any Indian utility bill must not be older than three months.
- Aadhar Card
- Indian driver's license
- Recent bank statement from Indian government bank. You must include the front page. Affixed photograph is required. Here is a sample of SBI’s passbook. It contains affixed and stamped photographs.
#7 Change in Appearance/Signature Form
If you apply after 10 years, please sign and print the change in appearance form.
As we age, everyone's appearance changes.
#8 VFS Document checklist
#9 Annexe 'E'
Specimen Declaration by the applicant on plain paper.
#10 Copie of Passport
Photocopy of the first 5 pages and last 2 pages of your passport. An app-based scanner is available.
Page 1 with Photo, page 2 and 3 respectively.
Page numbers 34, 35, 36 and the last page with address.
Total of 10 pages.
#11 Certificate of Marriage (Optional)
Are you married and would like to add your spouse's name to the passport?
Include Spouse's passport's front page (with picture) AND back page (with the address) OR
Spouse Green Card
#12 US Legal Statut
- Current Valid US Visa (including dependent Visa) OR
- I-797 OR
- Green card OR
- Employment Authorization Card (EAD).
- I- 797 Approval Notice or
- Valid I-20
- Even the USCIS receipt number can be used as a copy.
- USCIS pending H1B/H4 Extension Register with i797C.
- US Visa - B1/B2 does not qualify for passport reissue.
- The i94 card is not valid proof.
#13 Certificate of Birth / School Leaving Certificate
#14 Self Sworn Affidavit
#15 Police report (Only for Passport loss or theft)
#16 Additional Documents to Child Passport
1. AnnexureD Signed by father and mother
2. Mother Current Valid US Visa OR I-797 O Green Card OR Employment Authorization Card OR I-777 approval notice
3. Mother Passport page 1 (Photo) and page 2 (Address Page).
4. Father Valid US Visa or I-797 OR Green Card OR Employment Authorization Card. I- 797 approval notice.
5. Father Passport page first (Photo) and last (address page) pages.
This is the template for self-sworn affidavit to be printed on plain white A4 paper.
As long as you have an Indian passport, your Indian address will be required.
It is possible to give the Indian address of your parents or relatives by writing it down on a piece of paper, then signing it. This will be a self-sworn statement.
Registering - Indian Govt Website
Apply for a passport here at the Indian government website.
Each person will need to be registered on their own page. This website is best accessed on a computer or laptop. Mobile access can be a problem.
Step 1 Fill in the details by clicking the "Register" button.
Step 2 You will receive an email to verify your email. To activate your online account, click the link in the email.
Step 3 After activating your account, you will be asked for a new login. This screen will appear after you log in again.
Select Reissue of Indian passport
Choose the option " Apply to Ordinary Passport - Application for a Fresh Passport/Re-issue Passport (Blue Cover Passport)."
Steps to Apply for Passport - Indian Govt Website
Step 1: Apply for a Passport by filling the'passport type'section.
These are the values that most people will accept.
Indian passport renewal - Vfs global
- 1. Select 'Reissue of passport.
- 2. Select 'Personal Particular', then choose'Address' to change your address from India to the USA or to a different one within the USA. If you wish to modify more items on your passport, you can choose more options.
- 3. Select 'Validity expired in 3 years/Due for expire.
- 4. Choose Type of application to be'Normal '. You will need to have an email authorization from the Indian Embassy for tatkal.
- 5. Choose'Type Passport Booklet' to get '36 pages'. Except for those who travel extensively, most people only require 36 pages. Otherwise, your passport pages will become full in a few years.
Step 2: Fill in the Applicant details. Click next once done.
After clicking 'Save' your application will be saved. An ARN (application reference number) is generated. It is displayed on the top of the page.
Step3: Family Information
Input family information like father, mother and spouse names.
If you select marital status as "married", your spouse name must be included.
For Indian passport renewal, spouse name must be given
Step 4: Application Address Details
It is not necessary to be present at an Indian address. Indian embassy is aware that you may not be physically present at an Indian address.
It is mandatory that you provide at least 1 Indian address on the form. This information will be used to verify your identity with the police. It can be used to give the Indian address of your relative or parent.
You can choose these combinations:
Passport Print Address
In the example image below, we have chosen to print the US address on our passport and then provide an Indian address as a 'other address'.
Address details - Indian passport renewal
Indian mobile numbers should be valid, as it will be used for police verification.
To avoid delays in your application, choose the right Indian police station according to your Indian address.
When they call, your relative should be able and willing to stand by you.
It is common for people to pay 'Chai paani to police officers. Most people reported paying between INR 1000 and 2000. It is expected that they will pay it, just like you earn in dollars
Step 5: Enter emergency contact details
We recommend that you provide details about the American person you are referring to. You can also provide information from India. You have the option.
Step 6: Previous Passport Details
Click next to enter your details.
Step 7: Additional Details
Click next to enter your details.
Step 8: Passport Review
Click next to enter your details.
Step 9: Passport Preview
Step 9 gives you a preview of the biometric page for your new passport. Click next to verify your information.
Step10: Verify and Submit
Next, verify your details and submit your application. Before clicking the'Submit button, you can make any changes.
Once you click "Submit", your application will be locked and cannot be modified.
Print passport application
After you submit, you can print your application from the Applicant Homepage.
Only print the passport application on the one side of the white cardstock. The back side should be left blank. Do not duplicate print.
Sign the application only with black or bleu pen.
VFS Global Website – Fee Payment & Shipping
VFS's website is half baked, and the instructions seem to have been cut at the last minute.
You will be wasting your time filling out the form using the link provided on the VFS Website.
The problem is that you can't register any other way (at least, we couldn't find one).
VFS services can be used to send your documents by post, payment and shipping.
Step 1: Go to the VFS website and create an application.
Also, this website is not mobile-friendly. We recommend that you use a desktop.
You will then see a new form appear.
VFS global - create passport application
Click the button " Proceed"
Step 2: Charge Details
Indian passport renewal fees include the $15.90 VFS fee.
Once you have clicked the'proceed button, you will be asked for your email address to register and activate the registration. After you're done, you can REDO your entire VFS application. Amazing!
Step 3: Click on 'Create a new application'.
After logging in to VFS portal, enter the details once again.
Step 4: You will be asked to create a customer.
Step 5: You will see the screen below. Here you will need to enter your details again.
In the field 'Govt Reference Number', make sure to enter the Indian government website's ANR number.
Step 5a Many customers have complained about not being able to view the "select courier services" after adding a customer.
This worked for us.
1. Log out, Log back in to VFS Global portal
2. The blue color button ('retrieve incomplete app) is located on the left-hand menu.
3. Click search using your registered email.
4. As shown in the next step, you should now see the 'HT0_ Select Courier ' option on your customer screen.
5. If you still cannot see the Select Courier Service' option then click the Edit_ link in the? Actions_ column next to your name. This will display the courier service option.
Step 6: Select Courier Service
You are now at the customer list screen.
Keep track of the VFS reference number. If you have been logged out, this number will be needed to search your application.
VFS offers a shipping option that we recommend. FedEx is used and costs $30 for two-way shipping.
You can use your own courier service if you wish to, but make sure to include a pre-paid envelope to return the shipment.
VFS will not accept prepaid USPS labels that have expired.
While UPS can be used, the prepaid label that includes UPS Store address cannot be accepted.
Click here to submit
The total cost of the project would be $127.20, including Fedex shipping both ways.
Step 7: Courier Service Address
You can enter your personal mailing address here, and not the VFS global address.
Your prepaid shipping label should have the USA address.
Step8: Accept Application
After clicking the 'confirm your application' button, you will automatically be taken to Adyen.com, a payment site.
Step 9: Download Courier Labels
After you have completed the online payment, you can download your shipping labels and then send your application package.
Self Attest & Notary
#1 Adult Passport
Self attesting means you must sign the photocopy. A notary is not required.
Self Attest these documents:
- 1. The First Five pages and the last two pages of your passport.
- 2. Indian Address Proof (If applicable for your case)
- 3. Copie of marriage certificate (ONLY if you are married).
- 4. Spouse Passport copy (ONLY if you are married).
- 5. Birth Certificate/School Leaving Certificate
- 6. Police Report (Only for Passport loss or theft).
#2 Child Passport
You will need to have your parent sign with you.
If a child is older than five years old, they should write their/her own name.
Your child should not use your thumb print if he/she is younger than 5 years.
Both the parent and the child must attest to their own documents. Each parent should sign their own document. Ask your child to sign all documents.
Mother should sign her document and Father his. The father cannot sign the mother's document, and vice versa.
Any parent can sign a general document (such as forms)
- 1. CHIL's Passport copies of the last five pages and last two pages
- 2. CHILD'S - Birth Certificate
- 3. US Address Proof - Utility bill, driving license, or rental agreement for any parent's name.
- 4. Indian Address Proof - Utility bill, driving license, or rental agreement for any parent's name.
- 5. Mother's - A color copy of the passport pages you have photocopied.
- 6. Father's - A color copy of the passport pages you have photocopied.
- 7. Mother's – Color copy of Visa, Green Card, or I797 approval notice.
- 8. Father's - Color Copy of Visa or Green Card, or I797 Approval Notice.
- 9. ANNEXURE D - Affidavit to apply for a Minor passport by parents
- 10. Annexure "E" - Specimen Declaration by the applicant on plain paper
- 11. CHILD's- Color copy Visa or Green Card approval notice.
These documents should be notarized
- 1. USA Address Proof - Color Copy
- 2. We strongly recommend the Self-Sworn Affidavit (Optional Notary, but we highly recommend it)
- 3. Change of Appearance Form. If my appearance has not changed, is AFFIDAVIT FOR MODIFICATION AN IMPLICABLE REQUIREMENT?
- 4. Annexe E
- 5. Annexe D (for Child Passports)
- 6. Copy of Visa, Green Card, or I797 approval/pending notification.
Tracking, Package, and Mailing
1. Place documents in accordance with the VFS document checklist.
2. Paste photo
- 1. One photo should be included on the Indian government passport application form.
- 2. Stick the second image on the 'Changes of appearance form'.
- 3. Optional: To protect your passport, you can use a small envelope of letter-style to store it.
- 4. Original Expiring Passport
- 5. To tie the documents together, use a paperclip, paper pins or a binder clip. Use a stapler!
Go to the FedEx office and pick up the free envelope (included with the shipping fees paid to VFS) and mail it along with VFS's FedEx shipping labels within 15 days.
Note: You don't need to return the envelope. If you have chosen VFS shipping, VFS will take care of it.
You can check your application status at the Indian government website, or at the VFS Site using your VFS reference.
We have separately documented the process and VFS refund policy.
Is ECR or ECNR Proof Required to Renewal Indian Passports in the USA?
For Indian passport renewals in the USA, there is no need for ECR or ECNR proof.
On page 2, you will find the ECR/ECNR status.
You can choose option ECNR (Emigration Check Not Required) if it isn't there or not mentioned in your passport.
Where can I get a passport photo of an Indian citizen in the USA?
Indian Passport photos can be purchased at Walmart, Costco and Sams Club.
Costco and Sam's Club charge $4.96 each for 2 passport photos.
Where can I find a free notary to renew my Indian passport?
For Indian passport renewal, you can use your local library, bank (like Bank of America, Chase) or your own office as a FREE notary.
USPS, FedEx and other local mail shops will charge $5+ per page for the notary.
Can I send ECNR, ECR Proof even if it's not necessary?
For ECNR proof, you can submit a photocopy your highest academic qualification such as MCA (Masters in Computer Applications).
If you don't attach any evidence and your passport does not have an ECR stamp, then you are automatically eligible for ECNR.
Notarization is not required. Simply sign and self-attest the photocopy.
Is Aadhar required for Indian passport renewal in USA?
For Indian passport renewal in the USA, a Aadhar number does not have to be provided.
Are married couples required to use the name of their spouse?
If you choose to be married, the Indian passport application website requires that you provide the name of your spouse.