We often take passport photos in India at a nearby studio for various occasions, such as applying for passports, job interviews, or to issue government photo IDs.
We have never considered the size of Indian passport photos and the rules that go along with them.
Anyone who is interested in the requirements for taking a passport picture might find this post useful.
Different types of India ID Photos
There are 4 official passport size photos in India. Each has its own individual usages.
Passport Photo (official)
The official passport photo size in India is 51mmx51mm(2*2inch). This dimension is used by the Indian citizen for the process of applying for a passport.
India ID (unofficial)
The unofficial size for Indian passport photos is the "unofficial size". These are the ones we get from our local passport photo studio.
They are also used in government IDs such as the voter Id, official Mark sheets, and so on. They are 45x35mm in size.
Indian stamp size photo
This type of passport photo is used in government IDs such as driving license, Aadhar card and pan card. A stamp size photo measures 25x20mm.
This photo is required for issuing Indian Visa. The visa photo size is 51mmx51mm(2*2inch).
How to Take a Passport Photo at Your Home?
Here are some rules to follow when taking a passport picture. They are:
- The photo must be in color and measure 2 x 2 inches or 51 mm x 51 mm.
- The height of the head can be from 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches, or 50-70% of the passport photo.
- The photo should be clear and of good quality.
- Unless for religious reasons, the head should not be covered, but the person's full face should be visible from the top of the forehead to the bottom of the chin.
- Both edges of the face should be visible.
- The expression of the photo should be neutral, no exaggerated expressions or smiles
Things to do
- The photo should show the full frontal view with the eyes open.
- It should have a full head, from the top of your head to the bottom.
- The background should be white or off-white with the head in the centre.
- If the person has certain eye conditions, they can wear glasses.
Things that we shouldn't do
- You should not have any shadows or distracting backgrounds in the photo.
- If the subject is wearing eyeglasses in the photo, glare should not be present.
- When taking a passport photograph, dark shade glasses are not recommended.
- Your hair should not be dangling over your eyes.
- The camera should be focused on the person's face.
Photo requirements for children/baby passports
Children/Infants below the age of one must follow certain regulations when taking a passport picture. However, the rules have been relaxed due to difficulties in managing the children. Some rules are
- An infant younger than one year old is not required to look at the photo.
- Children and infants can have a different face position than adults. However, children and infants must show the entire facial structure from the bottom of the chin to the top of the forehead.
- The subject should maintain a neutral gaze with a clear background.
It is quite expensive to take a passport-sized photo at a local studio these days, even though the printing costs for photos have decreased. However, studios refuse to lower their printing costs.
They charge Rs. For 4 passport photos, they charge Rs. If you own a printer and photo paper, this cost can be avoided.
At aipassportphoto.com we provide a tool where you can align, edit and download the passport photo for free (no registration is required).
You can download as many as 40+ passport photos per print. Our passport images can also be printed on a variety of papers, including A4 legal letter.
Online photo editing software allows you to create high-quality passport photos in high resolution (300 DPI).
Online passport photo editing is available for India as well as for other countries.
Editing doesn't need to be complicated. It can be accomplished in just five steps.
How to edit your passport photo online?
- You can take a passport picture using a smartphone or camera with the right dimensions and requirements.
- Visit aipassportphoto.com and click on create a photo.
- Click next to select the phototype, dimension and photo sheet.
- You can also crop the unneeded parts of the photo if you wish to enhance or change the contrast.
- Download your photos
This conforms to the dimensions/standard size for Indian passports. These are the Indian passport sizes that all Indians should use. These are used by the government to verify identity and protect security.