Step 1: Indian passport renewal in the U.S.
First, you need to understand when an Indian passport renewal is due. After the passport has expired, an Indian citizen must renew it. A passport application can be sent up to 1 year before the expiration date.
Next, you will need to know how to renew your Indian passport in the U.S.
Indian passport services are available online. However, you will need to send or present the actual application to the VFS India Consular Application Center. You can complete the passport application online, but it requires both offline and online activity.
When applying for an Indian passport, there are three options:
- Re-issuance of a passport
- The Tatkal service (an emergency application for a passport);
- You can get a new passport when you:
1. Your current passport is depleted of visa pages.
2. You can apply for your child's first passport
Processing times for passport applications may vary. These times will vary depending on whether your passport was issued in India or through an Indian Embassy.
It would take approximately 3 to 6 weeks for a new passport to arrive in the United States if your passport was issued in India.
If it was issued at an Indian Embassy before, processing time will be within three weeks.
The Tatkal emergency passport service will make sure your new Indian passport arrives within 4 days.
The validity of the provided documentation can affect processing times. VFS India Consular Application Center may receive a missing document or a replacement. This could cause the application process to stall.
Step 2: Indian passport renewal process in America
Visit the Passport Seva website to begin your Indian passport application. You can also find the link to the application website on the VFS.Global Internet Site.
Select the region in which you want to apply for passport services. There are several options, including a list of larger countries and regions such as:
- Africa and the Middle East
- Asia Pacific.
Step 3: Indian passport renewal in the U.S.
Next, register an account through a VFS portal to renew an Indian passport.
First, choose an Indian embassy or consulate nearest you to apply for a passport renewal in the U.S. Next, you will need to enter your personal information when you click on "Register" at the top of the page.
- Your full name
- Date of birth
- Email address will allow you to be notified when your application status changes
To renew an Indian passport in the U.S., you will need to create an account on Passport Seva or log in.
The Indian passport application fee must be paid. It varies depending on which type of passport you have and whether it is an emergency：
- A 36-page fee for the booklet (adults and minors 15-18) is $75
- A 60-page fee for the booklet (adults and minors 15-18) is $100
- A 36-page booklet for minors: $50;
- Additional Tatkal fees for a 36-page book: $150
- Additional Tatkal fees for a 60-page book: $150
Additional fees may apply:
- A $2 ICWF (Indian Community Welfare Fund), fee is required.
- A $15.90 VFS Fee.
The total amount a passport applicant must pay is:
- A 36-page booklet is $92.90 for adults and minors 15-18 years old;
- A 60-page book is $117.90 for adults and minors 15-18 years old.
- A 36-page booklet is $67.90 for minors
- A 36-page Tatkal passport booklet: $242.90;
- A 60-page Tatkal passport booklet: $267.90.
You can pay the fees with a debit or credit card. Cash is accepted if you apply in person.
After the passport application is complete and all fees paid have been paid, you can download the checklist along with the required affidavits. These documents should be sent via courier to the VFS Indian Consular Application Centre.
Apply in person for Indian passport renewal in the U.S.
You can also bring your passport to the Visa Application Center. You can schedule it online and confirm the date. An email will be sent to you with additional information and the cost of the meeting. You have 48 hours to reschedule your appointment .
You should be aware that the VFS passport services fee ($15.90), if you have to reschedule, is non-refundable.
Documents required for applying in person
You will need up to fifteen (fifteen!) documents to make an appointment for a passport renewal appointment. You will need the following items:
- A completed passport application form, sign by the applicant.
- A current passport;
- A birth certificate or school leaving certificate.
- Self-sworn affidavit;
- 2 passport photos;
- Three copies of the Nationality verification form (available for download at the U.S. Indian Embassy website) and the Personal Particulars form (downloadable from VFS website).
- 3 recent passport photos. 8 passport photos are required if your passport has expired more than 3 years ago.
- Documentation proving legal status in the U.S.
- Photocopies of the first 5 pages (five) and last two pages (two) of your current passport.
- A copy of your highest education qualification degreeDocumentation proving residence in the U.S. (rental lease agreement, home mortgage bill, etc.
- Indian address proof (a driver’s license, an Aadhaar card or a bank statement)
- If you are applying after 10 years, sign and print the Change of Appearance Form.
- A completed and signed VFN document list;
- An Annexure "E": A specimen declaration on plain paper by the applicant.
For minor passport renewals, apply in person
First, minors who apply for a renewal of their Indian passport in the U.S. should select the "Re-issue” option on the website. The Application Reference Number (ARN), must match the VFS payment receipt.
This list contains the required documents to complete the application for a child's passport.
- A completed and signed passport application form.
- Their soon-to-be-expired passport (if applicable).
- 2 recent passport photos;
- A notarized copy (with the inclusion of both parents' full names) of the birth certificate
- The child's parents' Green Card, or a photocopy the record of landing or other immigration documents.
- Information from the U.S. Indian Mission's birth register.
- A copy of the parents' EAD, or employment authorization status, and the I-485 receipt for the child are required.
- Documentation proving residence
- Photocopies of the first and last pages of passports of parents and valid U.S. Visas
- A photocopy of the divorce decree (if applicable) and the custodianship
- A photocopy of the parents' death certificate (if applicable).
- A signed NOC (No Objection Certificate), or an affidavit of both parents.
Application tracking for renewal of an Indian passport in the U.S.
You can get application status updates via email or SMS.
The Passport Seva website has a section called "Track your application status". This allows you to track your application status online. Select the type of application you wish to use, and then enter the correct file number and birth date.
AiPassportPhoto – Take Indian passport photos online in just 3 seconds
One of the requirements for Indian passport renewal is two passport photos. Luckily, AiPassportPhoto stands ready for delivery. This app is available via a web, and can be downloaded on iOS or Android phones. It can also be used as a professional photo booth.
AiPassportPhoto is available 24/7 and allows you to get a free template for your passport. In just 3 seconds, it can convert the uploaded photo into a passport photo that is perfectly valid for $6.95.
By simply uploading a photograph to the application, you can easily take care of passport photo issues without ever leaving your house. We will then verify that the final product meets our standards. You can also request a 100% refund if your image is rejected.
Indian Passport Renewal in America - Summary
To renew your Indian passport, you will need to have an internet connection in order to fill out the online application. You can send up to 15 documents and pay a passport fee to the VFS India Consular Application Center, regardless of whether you prefer to submit the documents in person.
Within the next three weeks, your passport will be delivered to you. Emergency service can be arranged for $150 and you will receive your passport within four days.
FAQ: Indian Passport Renewal in America - FAQ
These are the most frequently asked questions regarding Indian passport renewal applications in the U.S. If you have any questions, please visit them.
Is it possible to renew an Indian passport in the United States?
Yes. Online applications are required. The completed application form can be sent to the India Consular Application Center along with any supporting documents or brought to a scheduled appointment to the Visa Application Center.
How to renew your Indian passport in the U.S.?
You must meet with the Visa Application Center to renew your passport in person. One is located on West 45th Street in New York. Another is at 1025 Vermont Avenue in Washington D.C. and another one at 8530 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles.
How long does it take to renew a passport in India?
Average processing time for Indian passport renewals in the U.S. takes 3 (three) week. If the passport was issued in India, it can take up to six month for renewal. Emergency passport services can help you get a new passport within four days.
How to renew an Indian passport in the U.S.?
When the expiration date arrives in less than a year, you can apply for a new Indian passport.
How can I track Indian passport renewal status in America?
Tracking the application can be done via email and SMS notifications. All status updates will be sent to you via email or SMS. This information was provided when you registered an account on Passport Seva. Alternativly, you can also use the "Track your application status" option from the same website. Select the appropriate application type and enter the correct date of birth. The progress will be displayed.
How do I pay for my Indian passport renewal in the U.S.?
Either a credit or debit card can be used to pay the passport fee. Cash is acceptable for applications in person.